Monday, September 26, 2011
This piece is called Etesian after the winds that sweep south out of northern Europe into the Aegean. It started with a yard of cotton I dyed in the bright reds and oranges. I then added more, smaller, hand dyed shiboriied lengths to create the ground fabric. I had the blue screen printed yardage I'd done about a year ago and spent a long time at the design wall ripping it up and auditioning it onto the base. Then I built a couple of screens with the wonky "donuts" and did the printing to unify the piece. I thought it was visually quite flat in spite of the bright colors so cut out, hand stitched and quilted all those individual donuts. Still not content, I brought in the expert eyes of my artist friend Cynthia Catlin and we mulled and auditioned various things. I settled on the black spirals which add visual depth.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
I have been quite focused on weaving over the last couple of months. The big Glimakra floor loom is set up in my Studio Annex in San Pedro along with my painting supplies. A great big length of multicolored wool fabric is progressing nicely on it. Meanwhile, here at FiberFly Studios my assistant Jessica (age 11) and I have been working away on a new tapestry. It is a large and complicated design which will take several years to complete. We started with the whole process - designing, getting the cartoon copied to size, ordering the yarn from Australia, warping and weaving over the summer. Doesn't look like much so far, but stay tuned!