Monday, December 13, 2010
Though I have not yet put the backing and thin black border on the piece, it is done. There is now stitching throughout which unifies it visually and provides a slightly 3D effect especially visible in the small colorful circles. The Hot Wind Series now has five pieces which are all very colorful and have lively surfaces.
Thursday, December 9, 2010
The piece now has a name - Sirocco, one of the winds that blows north out of the Sahara into Southern Europe, so this is another art quilt in my Hot Winds Series (who knew?). I have done a lot more to make the elements cohere: printed more circles and other forms from the original shapes in different sizes, added a fine layer of Angelina, then colored in and emphasized the fabric circles. I used a variety of media including Aquarelle crayons, markers and of course a lot of paint. It is beginning to look more refined but still high energy and playful. Now I'm off to layer and stitch.
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
As you can see, there is a bit more connection between the collaged elements now. This is because of the addition of webs of Angelina and then some screen printing to repeat the circular and starburst motifs. It is a little over-blended for my taste so the next step will be to find some focus in the piece.
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
I started a new textile piece that I think will make an interesting one to watch develop. It has no title yet, but I have begun to layer fabric - many pieces of which I have already printed - onto a black ground cloth. My goal is to print, paint and then stitch until I get an appealing pattern. I seem to return to the black/gold combination about once/year; this seems to be that moment.