Friday, September 27, 2013

8" x 8"

This is round three of the round robin challenge my workshop group has had since we met for a month at FiberFly Studios last spring.  I pieced the underlying quilt block then made a copy of it on printable voile.   I'm so proud of everyone for continuing to do their pieces!

Sparks are Flying

This is the piece - 36" square - I sent off to Illuminations, the 2013 Art Cloth Network exhibition for jurying by Bruce Hoffman.   Let's hope he likes it!  There is a hidden layer of silk satin underneath the panels.  It was so cool to see how two different kinds of silk took the same dye using the same fold pattern.    It's called Sparks for obvious reasons.  Ooops!  I forgot to mention in my Artist Statement that it is foiled, too. 

Monday, September 23, 2013

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Ice Flow St. Pete

I've waited a couple of years since my visit to both St. Petersberg, Russia, and St. Pete, FL, to make this piece.  While it is cold and snowy in the former, it was actually the visit to the latter which really inspired this quilt.  The chunks of industrial glass which create part of an exterior wall at the Chihuly Glass Museum are captured here in fabric and paint. 


Off to Australia, both Willy-Willy and I, in October.  Willy-Willy (the name for the swirling wind funnels which act like tornadoes) will be on view at the National Museum's upstairs gallery from the end of October into December in Canberra, Australia, along with the work of leading Australian textile art/quilt makers.   I'm the only American with work in the show.   Lucky me!!

Friday, September 6, 2013

Las Laguna Gallery

If you will be in or around Laguna Beach in the next few weeks please swing by this gallery which will have two of my embroideries: Flotsam and Jetsam, among many other small works.  Check their website for opening hours.  Let me know if  you stop in.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dye Day

Six of us spent Sunday at Susan Willen's house dyeing up a storm.  Here are some samples from my stash.  The first five photos are of work I completed on Sunday, done very precisely as can be seen by the clarity of the crackle.  The next day I did more of a general immersion dyeing to use up the left over dyes and those samples are much muddier as is expected.  All will, I'm sure, find their way into future art quilts.  Keep a look out!