Thursday, February 10, 2022

Kenyan Quilt Project

I was lucky enough to participate in the Sister Artist project out of Kenya. I was given the embroidery of the ostrich done by Catherine Akyini. She has been developing her stitching skills through a program supported by the Advocacy Project, an international aid agency. These are marketable skills and she is getting education on how to do so through the program. Once I received the piece I put into an art quilt I designed around it.


As you will see here these are being auctioned at a gala at the Textile Museum in Washington, DC, on March 11 and 12 as a fund raiser for the project. The Advocacy Project has made a fabulous catalog that everyone can access online and then decide what to bid on. My piece is the one with the REAL ostrich feather tail! No ostriches were harmed . . .
Here's a link: https://advocacyproject.betterworld.org/auctions/sister-artists-kenya







No comments:

Post a Comment