Sunday, May 5, 2024

BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS!!

It’s dawned on me lately that I have been making books, lots and lots of books.   They come in a wide range of materials, sizes and shapes.  Fiber: cloth and paper, lots of stitching, of course.  While I have been making the occasional one here and there over the years, this dive into such frequent and varied book-making seems to have started about 3 years ago.    And I don’t see it letting up soon as it’s so much fun.   


You might notice that these books contain no words.  They seem to tell stories, each in its own way, without them.  Some of the techniques I use include: dyeing, stitching, cutting, gluing and burning.  And they are made from paper, metal, wood, canvas, rattan, mixed media elements, and much, much more.   


Represented here are both typically formed books and horizontal, vertical, memorial wall shapes, scrolls, multi-fold and caterpillar books.    There are also free-standing books and those attached to quilts.  I was honored to have Awl’s Well pictured on the catalog cover of the Art Cloth Network’s Unfolding exhibition catalog!   Maybe I’ll open a library…


































No comments:

Post a Comment