Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Favorite Book (of the Moment)


If you've been following my blog for awhile you are aware that I am a huge fan of the contemporary British needleworkers. I've studied with Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn for a week on three occasions and read and collect everything that I can get my hands on in this vein. My latest find, published in 2008, (how did it take me four years to find this???) is this gem from Maggie Grey who is in the pantheon of these embroiderers. Here she layers gesso upon Tyvek, upon felt upon paint and MUCH else, zaps it all with heat and magically creates the most wonderful textile art. No, I'm not getting a commission, sadly, but I do recommend this book to anyone who wants to push fiber into the world of deep texture and sparkling color. I'm playing around with some of these techniques and will post when I get some samples.

Off to FiberPhiladelphia for lots openings this weekend including Lines and Numbers at the Crane Old School Galleries where I have a piece - Harem - in the Art Cloth Network shows. Be there if you can!!

No comments:

Post a Comment